A very delicious and very nutritious salad (see info below). Although we enjoyed it, we made a couple of alterations to the recipe. We would reduce the cilantro by half and increase the amount of peanuts for a better balanced mouthful.
Calories (kcal) 370 Fat (g) 12 Saturated Fat (g) 2 Cholesterol (mg) 0 Carbohydrates (g) 64 Dietary Fiber (g) 7 Total Sugars (g) 15 Protein (g) 9 Sodium (mg) 300
BLACK RICE SALAD WITH MANGO AND PEANUTS (Yield: 4 Servings)
- 2 oranges
- 1/4 cup (or more) fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce (such as nam pla or nuoc nam; optional)
- 2 cups black rice
- Kosher salt
- 2 just-ripe mangoes, peeled, pitted, cut into 1/2-inch dice
1 cup 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 cup finely chopped red onion (about 1/2 large onion)
1/2 cup 3/4 cup unsalted, dry-roasted peanuts
- 6 scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 jalapeños, seeded, minced
- Remove peel and white pith from oranges. Working over a medium bowl to catch juices and using a small sharp knife, cut between membranes to release orange segments into bowl. Squeeze membranes over bowl to release any juices. Strain juices through a fine-mesh sieve into a small bowl; reserve orange segments.
- Add 1/4 cup lime juice, oil, and fish sauce (if using) to bowl with orange juice; whisk to blend. Set dressing aside.
- Bring rice and 2 3/4 cups water to a boil in a large saucepan. Season lightly with salt. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer until all liquid is absorbed and rice is tender, about 25 minutes. Remove pan from heat and let stand, covered, for 15 minutes. Spread out rice on a rimmed baking sheet, drizzle with dressing, and season lightly with salt; let cool.
- Place mangoes and remaining ingredients in a large bowl. Add rice and toss gently to combine. Season lightly with salt and more lime juice, if desired.
~ BonAppetit.com ~
Used up bits and pieces of leftover pasta to make this salad. Lots of fresh ingredients and a nicely blended dressing. Next time, I think I will use Miracle Whip instead of mayonnaise and increase the amount of mustard to get just the right balance of flavors.
DEVILED EGG PASTA SALAD (Yield: Servings)
- 16 oz. salad macaroni or Ditalini pasta
- 1-1/2 cups Mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
- 6 hard boiled eggs, sliced
- 2-3 ribs celery, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup black olives, sliced
- 4 oz. jar pimientos, drained
- 3 tablespoons fresh dill, chopped
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- garnish with green onions
- Prepare pasta according to the directions, drain and let cool completely.
- Prepare hard boiled eggs, let cool and slice.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all the ingredients except eggs and mix with pasta until blended. Gently fold in eggs. Garnish with green onions.
- Chill until ready to serve.
~ ButterYourBiscuit.com ~
TUNA SALAD (Yield: 4 Servings)
- 2 pounds very fresh tuna steak, cut 1-inch thick
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, plus extra for brushing
- 2 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, plus extra for sprinkling
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black, plus extra for sprinkling
- 2 limes, zest grated
- 1 teaspoon wasabi powder
- 6 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice (3 limes)
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 10 dashes hot sauce (recommended: Tabasco)
- 1 to 2 ripe Hass avocados, medium diced
- 1/4 cup minced scallions, white and green parts (2 scallions)
- 1/4 cup red onion, small diced
- Brush the tuna steaks with olive oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place the tuna steaks in a very hot saute pan and cook for only 1 minute on each side. Set aside on a platter.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the olive oil, salt, pepper, lime zest, wasabi, lime juice, soy sauce and hot sauce. Add the avocados to the vinaigrette.
- Cut the tuna in chunks and place it in a large bowl. Add the scallions and red onion and mix well. Pour the vinaigrette mixture over the tuna and carefully mix.
~ FoodNetwork.com/ina-garten ~