GRILLED AVOCADO HALVES WITH CUMIN-SPICED QUINOA AND BLACK BEAN SALAD (Yield: 4-6 Servings)
Ingredients (Grilled Avocados):
- 3 avocados
- 1 to 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 lemons, juiced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup dry quinoa
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup diced cucumber
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper (or substitute cherry tomatoes)
- 1/2 cup raw corn kernels (from about 1 ear)
- 1 1/2 cup cooked black beans (or 1 can beans, rinsed)
- 10 to 15 basil leaves, cut in a chiffonade
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro, plus extra for garnish
- Lightly oil your grill or grill pan and set over medium heat.
- Rinse the quinoa through a fine sieve for about a minute. Place quinoa in a medium sized pot with 2 cups of water and a pinch of salt. Bring the water to boil, then reduce it to a simmer. Cover the quinoa and simmer for 15 minutes, or until all of the liquid has been absorbed. Fluff the quinoa with a fork and allow it to rest, covered, for 10 minutes.
- While the quinoa cooks, cut the avocados in half and remove the pits. Brush the avocados lightly with olive oil and drizzle with lemon juice. Sprinkle them with salt and pepper. Place the avocados, cut side down, on the grill. Allow them to cook for 5 minutes, or until they have nice grill marks. Remove them from heat and set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, maple syrup, mustard, cumin, salt, and pepper to taste.
- To a large mixing bowl, add the cooked quinoa, cucumber, pepper, corn, black beans, basil, and cilantro. Dress the salad and toss gently. Season to taste.
- Fill each avocado half till it’s brimming over with a cup of quinoa salad. Serve, garnished with extra cilantro if desired.
~ food52.com ~