Never throw away your broccoli stems again. Peel the tough skin on the stalks and cut into 1/8th inch slices. If you slice on the diagonal you will create more surface area and a more attractive final product. Pan fry using the broccoli stems in olive oil for a couple of minutes, turning as they brown, and removing to paper towels to drain. Sprinkle with sea salt to taste and serve. A wonderfully tasty, healthy snack or side.
PAN-FRIED BROCCOLI STEMS (Serves: 4)
- 4 to 8 thick broccoli stems
- About 4 tablespoons grape seed oil or olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Peel broccoli stems and slice crosswise, very thin, about 1/8 inch. (Don’t slice paper-thin because then it’s too easy to burn them.)
- Heat a heavy skillet over high heat and add enough oil to coat well (about 1/8 inch of oil in the pan). When oil is hot add broccoli stems in a single layer. (Don’t add too many at a time because they will cook quickly and you need to turn them all over before they burn.) Turn heat down to medium-high and cook broccoli stems until edges are lightly brown, then flip over with tongs. Cook for 30 seconds to a minute more and remove from oil. Drain on paper towels, sprinkle with salt, and let cool for about a minute before eating.
- Continue with all of the broccoli stems, adding oil as needed.
~ CookingNYTimes.com ~