This was a meal that made use of the random things that I had floating around in the fridge. I loved the fact that it utilized two good sized chicken breasts to create four servings. You begin with one tablespoon of olive oil and two tablespoons of butter to saute the chicken. Once cooked I put them into a warm oven while I prepared the rest of the dish. Add another tablespoon of butter and throw in the mushrooms and shallots to cook for a few minutes. Use the white wine and chicken broth to deglaze the pan and allow to the mixture to cook until it is reduced by half. I didn’t have any heavy cream on hand so I used another tablespoon of butter and a tablespoon of milk to finish the sauce. This was a really delicious meal. The lemon zest really heightens the flavor profile and make this a recipe to repeat.
EASY CHICKEN BREASTS WITH CREAMY MUSHROOM SAUCE (Serves: 4)
- 2 6 to 8-ounce boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups mixed mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup white wine
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- ½ lemon, zested
- Chopped parsley for garnish
- Cut each chicken breast in half horizontally. Pound the chicken breasts lightly with a meat mallet until about ½ inch thick. Season the breasts with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper then melt the butter in a large skillet with half of the olive oil. Add 2 of the chicken breasts to the skillet and cook for 5-7 minutes on each side. Transfer the chicken breasts to a plate. Add 1 tablespoon of butter and the rest of the olive oil to the pan then repeat with the remaining chicken breasts. Cook and transfer to the plate with the other breasts, then cover to keep warm.
- Add 1 more tablespoon of the butter to the skillet and melt over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and shallots to the skillet and cook for 4-5 minutes until softened, stirring often.
- Add the wine and chicken broth to the skillet, bring to a boil, and reduce to half. Add the whipping cream, thyme leaves and the last tablespoon of butter. Stir to combine and add the lemon zest.
- Serve the mushroom sauce over the chicken breasts. Garnish with chopped parsley, more fresh thyme leaves and additional lemon zest if desired.
~ FoodieCrush.com ~