We combine two superfoods here to create a super supper. This dish is the ultimate heart healthy meal. The avocado is loaded in healthy monounsaturated fat that helps lower cholesterol and the salmon is rich in omega-3 fatty acids that are great for the heart, joints and memory. I would change up the order in which I prepared the ingredients. I first put together the salsa so that it had time to chill properly. I followed that with the dry rub and allowed the salmon to rest for about 45 minutes before I put it on the grill. We found the rub to be a little heavy for the fish. I think that I would reduce the cumin and paprika by half next time. I recommend that you grill the salmon for about 7-8 minutes total (4 minutes skin side down then flip for another 3 minutes). A fantastic way to start out the grilling season.
GRILLED SALMON WITH AVOCADO SALSA (Serves: 4)
- 2 lbs salmon, cut into 4 pieces
- 1 tbs olive oil (I used light extra virgin olive oil)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp paprika powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp ancho chili powder
- 1 tsp black pepper
Ingredients for Avocado Salsa:
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1/2 small red onion, sliced
- Juice from 2 limes
- 1-2 T. finely chopped cilantro (depending on how big of a cilantro lover you are)
- Salt to taste
- Mix the salt, chili powder, cumin, paprika, onion and black pepper together, rub the salmon fillets with olive oil and this seasoning mix.
- Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Pre-heat the grill.
- Combine the avocado, onion, cilantro, lime juice, and salt in a bowl and mix well, chill until ready to use.
- Grill the salmon to desired doneness. (I grilled for about 5 minutes).
- Top with avocado salsa and enjoy!
~ TheCookieRookie.com ~