I was able pick up a pound of beautiful haricot vert (French green beans) recently. When combined with fresh carrots, sliced cremini mushrooms, and onions they were a perfect accompaniment to our steak dinner. Although the recipe indicates that the beans should be cut into 1″ pieces, I just couldn’t bring myself to butcher these beautiful veggies. Instead, I cut them in half in order to retain their delicate form. Perfectly cooked and perfectly seasoned . . . this is a great vegetable side dish.
GREEN BEAN AND MUSHROOM MEDLEY (Serves: 6)
- 1/2 pound fresh green beans, cut into 1-inch lengths
- 2 carrots, cut into thick strips
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- Place green beans and carrots in 1 inch of boiling water. Cover, and cook until tender but still firm. Drain.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Saute onions and mushrooms until almost tender. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 3 minutes. Stir in green beans, carrots, salt, seasoned salt, garlic salt, and white pepper. Cover, and cook for 5 minutes over medium heat.
~ AllRecipes.com ~