This is the perfect recipe to serve your family and friends for game or movie night. It is full of veggies and tossed with a delicious spicy-sweet dressing. To add color I picked up a package of Stoplight peppers (green, yellow & red) and some fresh avocados. Begin by prepping all of the chopped fresh vegetables and then, drain and rinse the black beans and black-eyed peas. Combine all of the ingredients, toss with the dressing and then into the refrigerator it goes until you are ready to serve. Bring it out with some sliced avocado and corn chips . . . and a stack of napkins. It is definitely drool worthy.
COWBOY CAVIAR (Serves 8)
- 3 cups seeded and diced Roma tomatoes (about 1 pound Roma tomatoes)
- 1 – 15-ounce can corn kernels, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup seeded and diced bell pepper, any color (about 1 medium pepper)
- ¾ cup red onion or shallot, small diced
- 1 – 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 – 15-ounce can black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and minced (optional)
- ¾ cup chopped cilantro (about ½ bunch fresh cilantro)
- 1 to 2 avocados, sliced (optional)
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice (about 1 lime)
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 clove garlic, pressed or minced
- 1 to 2 teaspoons salt, or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- In a large bowl, add the diced tomatoes, corn kernels, diced bell pepper, diced red onion, black beans, black-eyed peas, and minced jalapeño. Stir to combine.
- In a small bowl, add the olive oil, red wine vinegar, lime juice, honey, cumin, minced garlic, salt and black pepper. Whisk the dressing ingredients together until well-combined.
- Pour the dressing into the large bowl over the veggies. Add the cilantro, and stir to combine. Taste and adjust the seasoning, if needed.
- Cover and chill for at least 1 hour, or overnight to blend flavors. Serve chilled or at room temperature, with sliced avocado or corn chips, as desired.
~ TipHero.com ~