I wish I could describe how perfectly wonderful this chicken tastes. Words fail me. The only solution is for you to make this Sicilian-style Grilled Chicken and try it out for yourself. The marinade is a combination of flavors that really comes through in the finished product. And, it is only necessary to allow the chicken to marinate for about 30 minutes or so. The chicken is threaded on skewers with bay leaves and lemon wedges and then, cooked on either the grill or stovetop. It send up the most intoxicating aroma as it cooks — it will really set the mood for the meal ahead. Served here with Lemon and Saffron Risotto. (If anyone wants some fresh bay leaves, just say the word. Bay grows almost wild here at the house.)
SICILIAN-STYLE GRILLED CHICKEN WITH FRESH HERBS (Serves 4)
3 medium cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1/4 c. olive oil
- 2 T. fresh lemon juice
- 1 t. red wine vinegar
- 1 t. smoked paprika
- 1 T. chopped oregano leaves
- 2 T. chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1/2 t. sea salt
- 1/4 t. freshly ground black pepper
1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed and cut into 2″ pieces
- 15 to 20 fresh bay leaves
- 4 lemons, sliced into wedges
- 12 (10-inch) bamboo skewers, soaked in water for at least 30 minutes
- Sea salt & freshly ground pepper
- To a medium bowl, add all marinade ingredients; whisk to combine. Add chicken and toss to coat. Cover and transfer to the refrigerator to marinate for at least 30 minutes or up to 2 hours.
- When ready to grill, remove chicken from marinade. Thread chicken pieces onto skewers, alternating with bay leaf and lemon wedges, leaving 1/4″ between pieces.
- Preheat a grill or grill pan to medium-high heat. Lightly season skewers with salt and pepper and grill, turning as needed, until cooked through, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Transfer skewers to a medium platter and serve.
~ Sur la Table ~