Fresh, crisp green beans tossed with red bell pepper, red onion and fresh dill — add to that a fresh lemon garlic vinaigrette and you have a winner. This dish can be served warm as a side dish or cold as a salad. I would recommend that you add at least 1/2 cup of red pepper, if not a bit more. Ron prefers this dish served warm and also thinks that the beans would be easier to handle if they had been cut in half. Go green!!
LEMON-DILL GREEN BEANS (Serves 4)
- 1 lb green beans, trimmed
- 2 tbsp good-quality olive oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 cloves garlic, very finely minced
- 1 shallot, finely minced
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red pepper
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped fresh dill
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, blanch the beans for about 5 minutes, or until just barely tender-crisp. Immediately plunge into an ice-water bath to stop the cooking process, and set aside.
- While the beans are cooking, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, garlic and shallots in a small bowl until combined. Add salt to taste.
- In a large bowl, combine the beans with red onion, red pepper and dill. Pour the prepared dressing in, and toss to coat. Let stand for at least 20 minutes before serving (but preferably overnight) so that the flavours have some time to mellow and combine. Serve cold or at room temperature.
~ from CrumbBlog.com ~