I have always thought of mashed potatoes as being kind of blah — until now. Mashed tvpotatoes with butter, sour cream, spinach, a little onion and . . . cheese! This recipe is something like a twice baked potato casserole. All of the ingredients are combined and then transferred into a casserole dish. After you top it off with some shredded cheddar it is popped into the oven to bake for about 20-25 minutes. This recipe is really an upgrade from the standard fare. Try serving this dish at your next get-together — it is sure to please. Shown here with Eye of Round Roast Beef.
Note: We also found that this is a terrific as a leftover. Reheats well, maintains its texture, and the flavor is out of this world.
SPINACH MASHED POTATOES (Serves 6-8)
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach
- 6 potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried dill weed
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a medium casserole dish.
- Cook spinach according to package directions. Place potatoes in a pot with enough water to cover, and bring to a boil. Cook 15 minutes, or until tender but firm. Drain, cool slightly, and mash.
- In a bowl, mix the spinach, mashed potatoes, butter, sour cream, onion, salt, and dill. Transfer to the prepared casserole dish. Top with Cheddar cheese.
- Bake 20 minutes in the preheated oven, until bubbly and lightly brown.
~ from AllRecipes.com ~