The beauty of this salad is in its simplicity. Crisp, raw asparagus tossed with a beautiful creamy caesar vinaigrette — Yum! This dressing is a fabulous combination of ingredients that include red wine vinegar, fresh lemon juice, Dijon, Worcestershire and a bit of anchovy paste. The addition of mayonnaise turns this vinaigrette into a creamy sensation. Although this is a “raw” salad, I prefer to blanch the asparagus in salted water before it is tossed with the dressing. That method tenderizes the asparagus as it maintains the bright color, texture and nutritional content.
RAW ASPARAGUS CEASAR SALAD (Serves 4-6)
- 2 bunches (or about 2 pounds) pencil-thin asparagus, tough ends trimmed and chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1-1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice, from 1 lemon
- 2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon anchovy paste (or 1 anchovy filet)
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- Combine mayonnaise, red wine vinegar, lemon juice, garlic, Dijon mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and anchovy paste in a blender. Blend until smooth. Transfer to a medium bowl. Whisking constantly, add the olive oil in a thin, steady stream until incorporated. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- In a medium bowl, toss the asparagus with the dressing. Transfer to a serving platter and top with the grated Parmigiano-Reggiano.
~ SeriousEats.com ~