This crustless pie is kind of a cross between a cobbler, a cake and a pie. This recipe, from the kitchens at Sur la Table, is super easy to make. In fact, we made it in class and our son made it for us again at home. A thick batter/dough is made using all of the usual ingredients that are required for a cake — flour, sugar, eggs, etc. This recipe is a good example of how much flavor lemon zest adds to a dish. The colorful outer layer of citrus fruits is called the flavedo. The flavedo is the source of the essential oils that hold the intense flavor of the fruit. Add a couple of cups of blueberries and some walnuts and it’s into the oven for 30 minutes. This is the perfect dessert to make with the kids. Sweet blueberries and tender walnuts surrounded by crusty goodness. Yum!
CRUSTLESS BLUEBERRY PIE (Serves 4)
- 1 c. unbleached flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 t. fine sea salt
- 2 c. blueberries
- 1/2 c. chopped walnuts
- 4 oz. (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted, plus more for greasing pie dish
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- Zest and juice of one lemon
- 1/2 t. almond extract
- Whipped cream or vanilla ice cream, for serving
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Grease a 9-inch pie pan with butter.
- Combine the flour, sugar and salt in a medium bowl. Add berries and half of the walnuts; toss to coat with mixture. Stir in butter, eggs, lemon zest, lemon juice and almond extract. Mix until just combined; the batter will be very thick. Spread the batter into the prepared dish. Sprinkle remaining walnuts on top.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until cake tester inserted near the center comes out clean. Rest pie for 20 minutes before slicing into wedges. Serve warm with whipped cream or ice cream.
~ from Sur la Table ~