My son is excited about learning a little bit more about cooking and, of course, his main interest is in bringing more desserts to the table. This recipe incorporates two of his favorite things — Pillsbury Cinnamon Rolls and cooked apples. This dish is something of a bread pudding style dessert. Each cinnamon roll is cut into 9 pieces and placed into a 9″ square pan. An egg batter is poured over the cinnamon roll base and then topped with cooked apples. The original recipe calls for the icing from the cinnamon rolls to be drizzled over the top prior to baking. We couldn’t decide if we really liked that idea, but since we were working with two, we decided to do one before and one after cooking. It really turned out quite nicely and Chris was properly proud of himself. The cinnamon rolls got a total upgrade when used as an ingredient instead of standing alone.
APPLE PIE BAKE (Serves 4-6)
- 2 packs cinnamon roll dough with icing
- 4 eggs
- ½ cup milk
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 granny smith apples, diced
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- Vanilla ice cream
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Cut the cinnamon roll dough into 3 even strips, then cut those strip in 3 pieces, making 9 pieces total per cinnamon roll. Set aside the icing.
- In a medium bowl, combine eggs, milk, cinnamon, and extract, stirring until smooth. Set aside.
- In a pan over medium heat, combine butter, apples, and brown sugar, cooking until sugar starts to caramelize, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Sprinkle the cinnamon roll dough pieces evenly in a 9×9 baking tray. Pour the egg mixture on top, followed by the apples. Drizzle the reserved icing on top.
- Bake for 25–30 minutes, until golden brown. Serve with ice cream!
~ from Buzzfeed.com ~