What a wonderful recipe this turned out to be. The pork loin is marinated in an orange-chipotle sauce for several hours before it is grilled. Once the loin is removed from the refrigerator the sauce is transferred to a sauce pan along with another 1/2 cup of orange juice and heated until it is reduced by half. The meat is seared on a hot grill and then cooked over indirect heat for a short period until it reaches an internal temperature of 155F. The sauce is used to baste the pork as it cooks to saturate it with the fantastic flavors of chipotle and orange. I used some of the Smoky Chipotle Paste that I had frozen to make this sauce and it came out beautifully. So glad that I gave this a try — a bit little bit sweet, a little bit of heat, and a lot of flavor. Set aside some of the orange-chipotle sauce to serve with the finished dish.
GRILLED ORANGE-CHIPOTLE PORK LOIN (Serves 6-8)
- 3/4 cup orange juice, divided
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 2 whole canned chipotle chiles in adobo plus 1 tablespoon sauce
- 2 medium cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon Kosher salt
- 1 pork loin trimmed of excess fat and silver skin (about 2 1/2 pounds total)
- Place 1/4 cup orange juice, olive oil, dark brown sugar, chipotles in adobo, adobo sauce, garlic, and salt in jar of a blender. Puree until chipotles and garlic are completely chopped.
- Place pork loin in large resealable plastic bag. Pour in orange-chipotle marinade, seal, and toss to thoroughly coat loin with marinade. Place in refrigerator and marinate for 6 hours to overnight, turning occasionally.
- Pour marinade from bag into small saucepan. Stir in remaining 1/2 cup of orange juice. Bring to boil over medium-high heat; reduce to heat to medium and cook until sauce has reduced in volume by half, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Set grill to cook at a high heat with two-zone indirect cooking, cover grill and allow to preheat for 5 minutes. Clean and oil the grilling grate. Sear pork over hot side of grill until browned on all sides, about 4-5 minutes per side. Move pork to cool side of the grill and brush with orange-chipotle sauce. Cover grill and continue to cook until an instant read thermometer reads 155°F when inserted into the thickest part of the pork loin, 15 to 30 minutes longer. Remove from grill, let stand for 15 minutes; slice and serve with reserved orange-chipotle sauce.
~ from SeriousEats.com ~