It is amazing how beautiful cooked cabbage is! I still had a bit of cabbage left over from the Stuffed Cabbage Rolls, and this was the perfect recipe to pair with some Italian sausage. The seasoning combined with the caramelized onion and garlic is just wonderful. The only variation from the recipe for me was to shorten the cooking time since the cabbage had already been parboiled. This dish is a great savory side dish — an especially good accompaniment for any pork offering.
FRIED CABBAGE WITH BACON, ONION, AND GARLIC (Serves 4)
6 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large head cabbage, cored and sliced
- 1 tablespoon salt, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- Place the bacon in a large stockpot and cook over medium-high heat until crispy, about 10 minutes.
- Add the onion and garlic; cook and stir until the onion caramelizes; about 10 minutes.
- Immediately stir in the cabbage and continue to cook and stir another 10 minutes.
- Season with salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, and paprika. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes more.
~ from AllRecipes.com ~