I really like this sweet and savory recipe for roasted carrots. I will admit right up front that I made some substitutions to the recipe, but I tried to keep it in line with the spirit of the dish. I decided to make a chipotle paste to use instead of buying harissa paste. I also discovered at the last minute that I didn’t have as many carrots as I thought. Since I had some cabbage leftover from the Stuffed Cabbage Rolls we made a day or so before, I chopped some up to round up the veggie component. It all worked out perfectly. A little sweet, a little savory, and a little heat — all the flavors combined to make this a really good side dish. A little something vegan/vegetarian for my non-meat eating friends.
HARISSA AND MAPLE ROASTED CARROTS (Serves 8)
- 2 garlic cloves, finely grated
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon harissa paste
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2½ pounds small rainbow carrots, scrubbed, tops trimmed to about ½”, halved
- 1 lemon, thinly sliced, seeds removed
- Preheat oven to 450°. Whisk garlic, oil, maple syrup, harissa, and cumin seeds in a small bowl; season garlic mixture with salt and pepper.
- Toss carrots and lemon with garlic mixture in a large roasting pan to coat; season with salt and pepper. Roast, tossing occasionally, until carrots are tender and lemons are caramelized, 35–40 minutes.
Do Ahead: Carrots can be roasted 6 hours ahead. Let cool; cover and chill. Bring to room temperature or reheat slightly before serving.
~ from BonAppetit.com ~