Salmon, simply prepared, is a beautiful thing. This salmon is brushed with vegetable oil and seasoned with salt and pepper before it is added to a combination of olive oil and butter in hot pan. Three or four minutes on each side is all you need to bring your salmon to golden brown perfection. If it is at all possible, prepare the chimichurri a day ahead of time so that the flavors have an opportunity to develop. It makes all the difference in the world. Consider preparing it in the evening before you retire so that you can whip together this fantastic combination in a snap at the end of a long day. We liked this recipe for chimichurri so much that we are going to make it again on Memorial Day to serve along with some marinated steak. Can’t wait . . .
GRILLED SALMON WITH CILANTRO CHIMICHURRI (Serves 4)
Ingredients (Chimichurri Sauce)
- 1 cup packed cilantro leaves
- 1/2 cup packed flat-leaf parsley
- 1 T. oregano leaves
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 T. coarsely chopped shallot
- 2 medium garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 t. toasted & ground cumin seeds
- 1/2 t. crushed red pepper flakes
- Sea salt & freshly ground cracked black pepper
Ingredients (Grilled Salmon)
- vegetable oil, for brushing grates
- 4 (6-ounce) salmon fillets, pin boned and trimmed
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a bowl of a food processor, combine ingredients. Pulse until herbs are finely chopped, stopping and scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed. Transfer chimichurri to a medium bowl. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Preheat the grill or grill pan to medium-high heat. Coat grill grates with a thin coating of oil. Brush salmon fillets with oil and season with salt and pepper. Place salmon fillets presentation side down and grill for 3 to 4 minutes. Using a fish spatula, carefully flip the fillets and grill to medium, another 3 to 4 minutes for a 1-inch thick fillet.
- Remove salmon from the grill and transfer to four individual serving plates. Garnish each piece of fish with a generous dollop of chimichurri. Serve immediately.
~ from Sur la Table ~