- Oh my, oh my, oh my . . . this recipe is perfection. I couldn’t pass up the beautiful sweet cherries that I found at the market this week. Instead of making a dessert I decided to use them in this fabulous salsa recipe from Iowa Girl Eats. I combined the cherries, red onion, lemon juice, honey and some fresh basil from the garden to make this richly colorful salsa. In keeping with its fruity flavor profile, I decided to add a Cranberry Pear White Balsamic. This is a great recipe for working moms and folks on the go. I had a hiccup in my plans and ended up enjoying dinner out with friends. The salsa kept very nicely and the flavors had an opportunity to develop for use the next day. It would be easy to prepare this ahead and pull it out just in time to impress the pants off of your guests. The chicken is prepared very simply with a little bit of salt and pepper and finished either on the grill or the stove top. This is a recipe that is simply made and so impressive when plated — just perfect for a dinner party.
GRILLED CHICKEN & FRESH CHERRY SALSA (Serves 4)
- 1-1/2 lb cherries, pitted and roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup minced red onion
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 Tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 chicken breasts, pounded to uniform thickness
- extra virgin olive oil
- salt & pepper
- Combine cherries, red onion, lemon juice, basil, balsamic vinegar, honey, and salt in a bowl. Place into the refrigerator while you grill the chicken.Brush both sides of the chicken breasts with oil then season liberally with salt and pepper. Grill over medium-high heat for 4 minutes a side, or until cooked all the way through. Let rest for 5 minutes before topping with fresh cherry salsa
- Brush both sides of the chicken breasts with oil then season liberally with salt and pepper. Grill over medium-high heat for 4 minutes a side, or until cooked all the way through. Let rest for 5 minutes before topping with fresh cherry salsa.
~ from IowaGirlEats.com ~