I had about 1/2 pound of asparagus left from our recent meal of Marinated Portobello Mushrooms so I only made a quarter of this recipe. It is a super easy and flavorful treatment. The asparagus is sautéed in a bit of olive oil and seasoned with salt and pepper. Lemon zest is added to the tender-crisp veggies along with some fresh lemon juice. It is finished with freshly shaved parmesan cheese to give the dish a bit of a nutty, fruity flavor. A really fresh tasting side.
Note: I had to borrow a photo from the original source . . . I didn’t have quite enough for a proper picture!
SAUTEED ASPARAGUS (Serves 6)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 pounds asparagus, cut on the bias into 2-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- Rounded 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- Juice of one lemon
- Shaved Parmesan cheese, to taste
- Heat oil in a large skillet over high heat. When oil shimmers, add asparagus, salt, and pepper. Saute, stirring frequently, until asparagus is crisp-tender, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in lemon zest and cook 1 minute more.
- Add lemon juice to skillet and stir a few times. Remove from heat, transfer to a serving platter, and shave Parmesan over top. Serve immediately.
~ from Martha Stewart.com ~