This recipe goes right into rotation as a family favorite. It requires a little bit of prep to cut the cauliflower into florets and steam them before adding them to this delicious cheese mixture. The combination of cream cheese, shredded cheddar, shredded Monterey Jack. garlic, green onions, and bacon is out of this world! It is a little difficult to mix at first, but as the steaming cauliflower is added it becomes easier to work with as it starts to loosen up. I found that I needed to put it under the broiler after the first 25 minutes in order to brown up the cheese on top a bit . . . maybe we were just a bit anxious to dive in. Each component hits the palate just right as you savor the cheesy richness of the dish.
LOADED CAULIFLOWER CASSEROLE (Serves 4)
- 2 lbs cauliflower florets
- 8 oz shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 8 oz shredded Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- 8 oz block cream cheese, softened
- 4 tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 bunches green onions, sliced (1 1/2 cups)
- 6 sliced bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- Salt & pepper to tastes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Steam cauliflower florets until tender.
- While cauliflower steams, cream together 6 oz of the shredded cheddar, 6 oz of the Monterey Jack, cream cheese, and heavy cream.
- Stir in sliced green onions, chopped bacon, and garlic. Set aside.
- Drain any liquid from steamed cauliflower and add to cheese mixture. Stir cauliflower and cheese mixture together.
- Taste for seasoning, and add as necessary. If you want a finer texture, give a few mashes with the potato masher.
- Pour into a 2-3 quart casserole and sprinkle on remaining cheddar and Monterey Jack cheese.
- Cover dish with foil and bake for 25 minutes; remove foil and continue to bake until cheese is brown and bubbly. Enjoy.
~ from RealHouseMoms.com