We picked up some rainbow baby carrots and decided to give a little twist to the traditional roasting method. The natural sweet flavor of the carrots balances the acidity of the balsamic vinegar beautifully. Very simply prepared — toss with a vinaigrette, roast until tender and then toss with coarse salt, pepper and parsley — and you end up with a colorful plate full of bite-sized goodness.
BALSAMIC ROASTED BABY CARROTS (Serves 4)
- 1.5 pounds baby carrots, tops removed, peeled if desired
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Dash of coarse salt
- Dash of pepper, optional
- Dried or fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 400 degree F.
- Line a rimmed cookie sheet with parchment paper, if you don’t have any just spray it liberally with non-stick cooking spray.
- Rinse your carrots and pat dry.
- Place the carrots in a medium sized glass bowl.
- In a small glass bowl add the balsamic vinegar, then slowly add the olive oil while whisking with gusto. Do not use aluminum bowls, it doesn’t play well with acidic ingredients. Whisk with gusto until your arm falls off, or your ingredients combine perfectly.
- Now pour the balsamic mix over top off the carrots. Toss the carrots until well coated. Pour them onto the cookie sheet.
- Place in oven and roast them for about 30 to 40 minutes, depending on how crisp or soft you like your carrots, and how thick they are. Flip halfway through, just to get that nice caramelized goodness on both sides.
- Remove from oven. Transfer to a bowl. Sprinkle with coarse salt, pepper and parsley.