Break out your cast iron skillet — this recipe goes from stovetop to oven to table in 30 short minutes! The shrimp,quinoa and cheese combine to create a protein packed, low-cal dish (only 410 calories per serving) that is full of fresh veggies. It is beautifully seasoned — no salt added — without overpowering the palate. This casserole serves up beautifully once it is layered into the pan, heated through and browned under the broiler. Something that is good for you, tastes good, and makes you feel good as well.
CAJUN SHRIMP AND QUINOA CASSEROLE (Serves 4 )
- ¾ lb large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 4 medium tomatoes, cut into chunks
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped
- ½ C chopped sweet onion
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2½ tsp cajun seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2½ C cooked quinoa
- 1 C shredded fontina cheese
- Fresh cilantro for garnish
- Toss the shrimp and 1 tsp Cajun seasoning together, set aside.
- Toss the tomatoes with 1 tbsp olive oil and 1 tsp Cajun seasoning, set aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil over medium heat in a cast iron skillet (or any oven-safe skillet.) Cook the shrimp until opaque, about 2-3 minutes per side. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add the remaining 1 tbsp of olive oil to the pan along with the onion, jalapeno and garlic. Cook until the onion and jalapeno are tender, stirring often. Mix in the quinoa, tomato paste, ½ tsp Cajun seasoning and tomato chunks. Top with the shrimp and then sprinkle with the fontina cheese. (If you don’t like quinoa, you can sub the quinoa with brown rice.)
- Place in the oven and bake at 350 for 15 minutes. During the last 2 minutes, turn on the broiler to high and broil until the cheese is slightly brown and bubbly.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro.