Every once in a while I serve a vegetarian meal. It is usually called “GOOD GRIEF, MY HUSBAND IS GOING OUT OF TOWN — QUICK, USE UP ALL THE FRESH VEGGIES!!!” I had a good number of cremini mushrooms that were on deck so I thought this creamy mushroom recipe would do the trick. It contains two of my hubby’s favorite things — garlic and fresh parm. You will know that it is ready to serve when the sauce coats the back of a spoon. Believe it or not, he ate all of these mushrooms in addition to roasted broccoli spears and some Spinach au Gratin.
EASY CREAMY MUSHROOMS (Serves 4)
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 16 ounces cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
- Melt butter in a large skillet oven over medium heat. Add garlic and mushrooms, and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender and browned, about 5-6 minutes.
- Stir in heavy cream, thyme and oregano; season with salt and pepper, to taste. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until slightly reduced and thickened, about 5-6 minutes. Stir in Parmesan.
- Serve immediately, garnished with parsley, if desired.