Nothing is as easy and satisfying to make for a breakfast crowd than a frittata. This recipe is a family favorite — loaded with browned sausage, cheese and potatoes. The potatoes and ground sausage can be prepared in advance if you think you are going to be short on time. Layer them in between portions of the egg mixture in a buttered skillet and slide into the oven for about 25 minutes. Cut in wedges and top with a bit of chopped tomato and some thinly sliced green onions. A real crowd pleaser.
SAUSAGE AND CHEESE FRITTATA (Serves 6)
- 1 (12-oz.) package ground pork sausage
- 2 cups cubed cooked red potatoes
- 8 large eggs
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup (4 oz.) shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped seeded tomato
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 350°. Brown sausage in a 10-inch ovenproof nonstick skillet over medium-high heat 10 minutes or until meat crumbles and is no longer pink; drain and transfer to a bowl. Wipe skillet clean.
- Whisk together eggs, milk, salt and pepper until well blended.
- Melt butter in skillet over medium heat; remove from heat, and pour half of egg mixture into skillet. Sprinkle with cooked sausage, potatoes and cheese. Top with remaining egg mixture.
- Bake at 350° for 23 to 25 minutes or until set.
- Top with tomato and onions. Cut into 6 wedges to serve.
From Southern Living