My son loves Ruths’ Chris Sweet Potato Casserole — LOVES it!! I have tried for several years to duplicate this dish, and this recipe is just about as close as I think I’m going to get. The sweet potato mixture is fairly easy to make. Put a few sweet potatoes into a large pot of salted water and bring to a boil. Cook them for 20-25 minutes until tender and then mash until smooth. Combine the sweet potatoes with sugar, vanilla, salt, butter and a beaten egg and mix until smooth and creamy. You can complete this process, put it in a casserole and set it aside until you are ready to heat it in the oven later in the day. It is finished with a sugar, butter and pecan mixture that is crumbled over the top. It is the perfect combination of creamy sweet potato filling and crisp, crunchy pecan topping that is sure to become a family favorite.
RUTHS’ CHRIS SWEET POTATO CASSEROLE (Serves 6)
Crust Topping Mixture:
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3/4 cup chopped nuts (pecans preferred)
- 1/4 cup melted butter
Sweet Potato Mixture:
- 1.5 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled (about 4 medium-sized)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 egg, well beaten
- 1/4 cup butter
- Cut the sweet potatoes half and add them to a pot of salted water. Bring the pot to a boil, and cook for 20 minutes, or until the sweet potatoes are cooked through. They should be easily pierced with a fork. Drain.
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Mash the sweet potatoes with the Sweet Potato Mixture ingredients. Combine thoroughly and pour into a baking dish.
- In a separate bowl, combine Crust Topping Mixture, and sprinkle Crust Mixture evenly onto the surface of the sweet potatoes.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 350°.