Here is a quick, delicious recipe for mashed sweet potatoes that is sure to please. Bake the sweet potatoes at 400 F until tender. Then, allow them to cool and scoop out the flesh. Once the potatoes are mashed they are warmed in the microwave for a few minutes and finished off with a maple syrup sauce and toasted pecans. Served here with a New York Strip Steak and Oregano Green Beans.
*Just A Hint*: Although the recipe doesn’t call for it, I prefer to blend just a bit of milk into my mashed sweet potatoes until the mixture is creamy and lump-free.
MAPLE-PECAN SWEET POTATO MASH (Serves 4)
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 6 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 large sweet potatoes, baked
- Bake some sweet potatoes in a 450° oven for 30-35 minutes, until fork tender.
- Preheat oven to 300°.
- Place the pecans in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake about 10 minutes or until pecans are fragrant and begin to darken. Remove from oven, and set aside.
- In a small saucepan, combine maple syrup, orange zest, cinnamon stick, and ground cloves. Bring to a gentle simmer. Remove from heat, and let stand about 5 minutes.
- Gently scoop out insides of the baked sweet potatoes, and place in a heatproof bowl. Using a potato masher or large fork, mash until there are no lumps left. Heat in microwave on HIGH for 3 minutes.
- Remove the cinnamon stick from the warmed syrup, and discard. Pour the syrup over the mashed sweet potatoes, and top with the toasted pecans. Serve immediately.