I picked up a pound of beautiful organic green beans recently and paired them with tomatoes and feta cheese in this recipe from Southern Living. Nothing but flavor in this dish! Sauteed onions and garlic with green beans, diced tomatoes and seasonings simmered in chicken stock. A little spritz of fresh lemon juice and a sprinkling of crumbled feta finished it off perfectly. I was afraid that the amount of onions and tomatoes would be too much for the green beans, but my guys polished off all of the remnants very happily.
OREGANO GREEN BEANS (Serves 8)
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 pound fresh green beans, trimmed
- 1 (14 1/2-oz.) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1/2 cup vegetable or low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Sauté onion in hot oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat 8 minutes or until tender. Add garlic; cook, stirring often, 4 minutes or until garlic is tender and golden brown.
- Add beans and next 6 ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 10 minutes or until beans are tender.
- Stir in lemon juice. Transfer to a serving dish; sprinkle with feta. Serve with a slotted spoon.