Sometimes I wish asparagus was sold as just tip — I hate to feel that I throw almost a third of the spear away. A sprue (younger spear) doesn’t need that kind of preparation, but larger spears are more flavorful and become woody and tough on the bottom as they develop. For this recipe, we cut the asparagus into 1″ pieces and saute them along with sliced mushrooms until tender. The dish gets a boost of flavor from the thyme, lemon zest and lemon juice that is added to the mix. It really picks up the flavor of the asparagus and makes for a delicious side.
ASPARAGUS AND MUSHROOMS IN LEMON-THYME BUTTER (Serves 4)
1 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large skillet, saute asparagus and mushrooms in butter and oil until tender.
- Stir in remaining ingredients.