This recipe contains two of my family’s favorites — pepperoni for my son and avocado for my husband. It takes little bit of preparation, but it is totally worth it. Once I got the onion, garlic, pepper and sundried tomatoes working in the pan I knew we had a winner — full of beautiful colors and a wonderful aroma. I had been looking for a new way to use pepperoni, but any protein can be used as a substitute. I did run into one roadblock when I found that I had no tomato paste. Easy fix — just put some tomato sauce in a saute pan and heat until it is reduced to the right consistency. The frittata was wonderfully savory and was perfect for our weekend brunch!
PEPPERONI, AVOCADO, AND SUN DRIED TOMATO FRITTATA (Serves 8)
- 10 eggs
- 1 tsp dried basil (or handful of fresh basil leaves, chopped)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper (fresh)
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 purple onion (. diced)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 cup pepperoni (or other protein, diced)
- 1/2 orange (or yellow bell pepper, diced)
- 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes (diced)
- 2 tbsps tomato paste
- 1 avocado (peeled, pitted, and diced)
- 3/4 cup grating cheese (cheddar, mozzarella, Emmental, etc.)
- In a large bowl, add eggs, basil, salt, and pepper. Beat until eggs are frothy.
- Heat coconut oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Once shimmering, add diced onion and minced garlic, and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add diced pepperoni, bell pepper, sun dried tomatoes, and tomato paste. Continue to saute until onions are soft. Add diced avocado and mix in at the last minute.
- Turn heat down to medium-low, and pour egg mixture over the cooked ingredients in skillet. DO NOT STIR.
- Sprinkle grated cheese evenly over top of egg mixture. DO NOT STIR.
- Cover and cook for 12-15 minutes until the centre is cooked. Cut into wedges and serve.