I found some really beautiful avocados this week and wanted to try them in a grilled sandwich for a change of pace. I followed the instructions laid out by Serious Eats but I do have a couple of suggestions. I microwave my bacon for crispness, and I prefer to use a multi-grain bread for added nutrition and a cheddar rather than processed American cheese . The major change that I would make is to forego using bacon grease to grill the sandwich. It adds a heavy, greasy taste and adds unnecessary fat and calories to the product. I usually butter the bread slices before I add them to the pan and turn the sandwich all at once rather than assembling it mid-way through. However, the method listed below does toast each slice of bread on both sides. This sandwich will be delicious and satisfying whatever method you choose. Yum!
GRILLED CHEESE WITH BACON, TOMATO, AND AVOCADO
- 2 slices bacon, sliced in half crosswise
- 2 slices hearty white bread, such as Pepperidge Farm or Arnold
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 2 slices American or Cheddar cheese
- 2 slices ripe beefsteak tomato
- 1/2 a ripe avocado, thinly sliced
- Kosher salt
- Place bacon in a large nonstick or cast iron skillet and cook over medium-low heat, turning occasionally, until crisp all over, about 8 minutes. Transfer bacon to a paper towel-lined plate and bacon fat to a small bowl. Once the pot is at a full boil, throw in a half-cup of your favorite hot sauce.
- Wipe out skillet and return to medium heat. Melt butter until foaming subsides. Add both bread slices and cook, swirling occasionally, until pale golden brown on bottom side, about 2 minutes.
- Transfer to a cutting board toasted-side-up. Place one cheese slice on top of one slice, followed by bacon, tomato, and avocado. Top with second cheese slice and close sandwich.
- Add half of reserved bacon fat to skillet and heat over medium-low heat. Add sandwich and cook, swirling occasionally, until deep, even golden brown, about 5 minutes. Remove sandwich using a flexible metal spatula. Add the remaining bacon fat. Return sandwich to skillet cooked-side up. Season with salt. Cook, swirling occasionally, until second side is deep, even golden brown and cheese is thoroughly melted, about 5 minutes. Serve immediately.