I wanted to start my son’s 30th birthday off right and this breakfast casserole seemed like just the right thing. Eggs spiced up with ground nutmeg, mustard, and freshly ground pepper layered with three different cheese — what’s not to love?! This dish is perfect for breakfast, a light supper, or a holiday meal when you are serving a bunch at brunch!
CHEESY BACON EGG BRUNCH CASSEROLE (12 Servings)
8 slices bacon
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 5 cups Italian bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup ricotta or cottage cheese
- 5 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Cook bacon in large skillet until crisp. Drain bacon on paper towels; crumble and set aside. Remove all but 2 tablespoons drippings from skillet. Add onion to skillet; cook and and stir 3 minutes or until softened.
- Spread 1/2 of the bread cubes in 13×9-inch baking dish. Layer with 1/2 each of the onion, bacon, Cheddar cheese and mozzarella cheese. Spread evenly with ricotta cheese.
- Beat eggs in medium bowl with wire whisk. Add milk, mustard, pepper and nutmeg; mix well. Gradually pour into baking dish. Press bread cubes lightly into egg mixture until completely covered.
- Top with remaining bread cubes, onion, bacon, Cheddar cheese and mozzarella cheese. Let stand 10 minutes.
- Bake 40 to 50 minutes or until center is set and top is golden brown.