Well, first things first — 2 cloves of garlic will never be enough for the Mr. This kale recipe uses the tried but true combination of supergreens and vinegar . You can use chicken stock, if you prefer, as well as adding matchstick carrots, chopped tomatoes, pepper flakes to the mix . . . anything you like to customize it to your palate. My son doesn’t like vinegar as much as we do so I gave him the option of eating the kale plain or with a bit of infused olive oil. Leftovers would be great used in eggs, stir fry, pasta dishes, etc. Served here with Lasagna.
SAUTEED BABY KALE (Serves 4)
- 1 1/2 pounds young kale, stems and leaves coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely sliced
- 1/2 cup vegetable stock or water
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and cook until soft, but not colored.
- Raise heat to high, add the stock and kale and toss to combine. Cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove cover and continue to cook, stirring until all the liquid has evaporated. Season with salt and pepper to taste and add vinegar.
~from Bobby Flay