Fresh, crisp and juicy — the unusual combination of watermelon and cucumber presents a wonderful choice for a summertime salad. Just dissolve the sugar into the seasoned rice vinegar to balance out the acidity. Dice a large cucumber and a slice of watermelon and toss with some chopped cilantro. Add the dressing and let the flavors blend in the refrigerator for a few hour. And there you have it. I used the cashews that I had on hand as a substitute for the dry-roasted peanuts. They have a lower fat content than most nuts . . . most of that monounsaturated fat. We had this along with grilled steak, but my guys think it would be perfect for a cold, fresh summer lunch.
WATERMELON SALAD (Serves 4)
- 2 tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 cups diced seeded watermelon
- 2 cups diced cucumber
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup unsalted dry-roasted peanuts, toasted and coarsely chopped
- Stir vinegar and sugar in a medium bowl until the sugar almost dissolves. Add watermelon, cucumber and cilantro; toss gently to combine.
- Just before serving, sprinkle with peanuts.