An entire head of cauliflower encased in a delicious spicy crust. The cauliflower is trimmed and then dipped in a batter of yogurt, lime, and spices. Roast in the oven until beautifully browned on the outside and tender on the inside. It comes out of the oven steaming hot so make sure you let it cool for about 10 minutes so that the crust has an opportunity to set properly. Cut it in wedges to serve up a little slice of heaven.
Final Note: I had a great deal of the batter left over after preparing the cauliflower for cooking. In the future I would reduced the ingredients by 1/2 to 1/3 and use a brush to spread the mixture evenly over the cauliflower head.
SPICY WHOLE ROASTED CAULIFLOWER (Serves 6-8)
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 head cauliflower
1½ cups plain Greek yogurt
1 lime, zested and juiced
2 tablespoons chile powder
1 tablespoon cumin
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon curry powder
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400° and lightly grease a small baking sheet with vegetable oil. Set aside.
- Trim the base of the cauliflower to remove any green leaves and the woody stem.
- In a medium bowl, combine the yogurt with the lime zest and juice, chile powder, cumin, garlic powder, curry powder, salt and pepper.
- Dunk the cauliflower into the bowl and use a brush or your hands to smear the marinade evenly over its surface. (Excess marinade can be stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to three days and used with meat, fish or other veggies.)
- Place the cauliflower on the prepared baking sheet and roast until the surface is dry and lightly browned, 30 to 40 minutes. The marinade will make a crust on the surface of the cauliflower.
- Let the cauliflower cool for 10 minutes before cutting it into wedges.