I wanted to serve some vegetables that would compliment the sweet and spicy chicken that I was planning to prepare. This recipe combines ingredients that I always have on hand — orange juice, reduced-sodium soy sauce, and fresh ginger. Since I have a problem keeping ginger fresh between recipes, I choose to keep a jar of prepared ground gingerroot in the fridge. Unfortunately, I didn’t have any sugar snaps so this time I substituted long green and yellow (wax) beans. Not as pretty, but still very tasty . . . a sweet and spicy match for my Asian Spiced Chicken.
GINGERED VEGETABLES (Serves 4)
- 2 c. fresh sugar snap peas, trimmed
- 1 medium carrot, julienned
- 2 T. orange juice
- 2 T. reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 t. minced fresh gingerroot
- In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, combine all ingredients. Cook and stir over medium-high heat for 5-8 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Serve with chicken.