What a fantastic way to start the day!! A delicious . . . and healthy . . . breakfast of eggs and avocado. Both are quite wholesome and contain a wide variety of nutrients. Avocados are rich in more than 20 vitamins and minerals and are loaded with heart-healthy monounsaturated fatty acids. Eggs contain one of the highest values of protein along with iron, vitamins, minerals and disease-fighting nutrients like lutein and zeaxanthin. And beyond that, this dish is super tasty. A great addition to any breakfast, brunch or light supper. Served here with Blistered Cherry Tomatoes.
EGGS IN AVOCADO (serves 4)
- 2 Avocados
- Kosher Salt and freshly ground Black Pepper
- 2 T Olive Oil
- 4 large Eggs
- Heat a large pan over medium-high heat.
- Halve each avocado lengthwise. Peel and pit the halves.
- Using a spoon, scoop out some of the avocado just a bit larger than the pit to form a hole that goes through each half. Lay the avocados out on a cutting board, top with plastic wrap, and gently press down to slightly flatten the pieces. The idea is to make thick but flat slices, each with a hole in the center. Season both sides with salt and pepper.
- To the preheated pan, add 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add the avocado slices cut-sides down and cook until they begin to brown, about 1 minute.
- Flip the avocados and carefully crack 1 egg into each hole. Season the eggs with salt and pepper. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover, and cook until the egg whites have set up but the yolks are still runny, about 3 minutes