This is a lovely recipe for a traditional Green Bean Amandine with the addition of roasted garlic and blue cheese. There is nothing like roasted garlic — a couple of heads of garlic drizzled with olive oil and oven roasted until the cloves are buttery soft. A great addition to almost any dish, and here, tossed with green beans, toasted almonds and crumbled blue cheese.
GREEN BEAN AMANDINE WITH GARLIC AND BLUE CHEESE (serves 6)
- 3 heads garlic
- 1 T olive oil
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 pound fresh green beans, trimmed
- 1 T butter
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper, or more to taste
- 2 ounces crumbled blue cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Cut top 1/4 off garlic heads, exposing the cloves. Place garlic in aluminum foil cut side up and pour olive oil over the garlic and season with salt. Fold up foil and seal to create a tight packet.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a paring knife inserts easily into the center of a garlic clove, about 1 hour; set aside to cool. Once cool, remove each garlic clove from the skin.
- Increase oven temperature to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil; add green beans and cook until bright green and nearly tender, 4 to 6 minutes. Drain beans and transfer to a large bowl of ice water to cool completely; drain well and set aside.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add almonds; cook and stir until lightly browned, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Toss green beans, roasted garlic, toasted almonds, and 1 tablespoon olive oil together in a large bowl; season with cayenne pepper, salt, and black pepper. Transfer to a shallow baking dish and top with blue cheese.
- Bake until cheese is melted and beans are fully tender, about 15 minutes.