Such an elegant recipe! Start by choosing fresh asparagus — bright green in color, tight dark green or purple-tinged tips, firm stalks. In fact, a bunch of asparagus should actually “squeak” when you squeeze it. Toss with oil, add thin pats of butter, and sliced lemons and roast. When they are tender add a bit of shredded Parmesan and broil for just a minute or two. Perfectly beautiful . . . perfectly prepared . . . perfectly elegant.
BAKED ASPARAGUS WITH LEMON, BUTTER & PARMESAN (Serves 4-6 )
- 1 bunch asparagus
- 1 lemon
- 2 T. butter
- Olive oil
- Salt & Pepper
- 1/3 c. shredded Parmesan cheese
- Rinse asparagus and break off the ends.
- Place asparagus in a large baking dish, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper.
- Squeeze ½ of a lemon over the asparagus. Line the top third of the asparagus with lemon slices from the other half of your lemon.
- Thinly slice 2 T of butter and line the center of the asparagus with butter.
- Bake at 400°F for 12 minutes or until asparagus is tender. Remove asparagus from the oven and set oven to Broil.
- Sprinkle the center of the asparagus with Parmesan cheese and broil 2-3 minutes or until cheese is melted and golden.