I can’t tell you why, but my family loves cruciferous vegetables. Cauliflower, cabbage, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, turnips, radishes . . . you name it. I usually braise cabbage with carrots and onions, but this recipe peaked my interest. I had to turn up the “garlic factor” a bit so I used a garlic infused olive oil and garlic sea salt from the spice box that the BK gave me for Christmas. The result was a cabbage steak that was crispy on the outside and juicy and tender in the middle. Exceptionally easy and wonderfully flavorful — this recipe is a new favorite! Served here with a Barbequed Pork Chops.
GARLIC RUBBED ROASTED CABBAGE STEAKS (Serves 4)
1 (approx 2lb) head of organic green cabbage, cut into 1″ thick slices
1.5 tablespoons olive oil
2 to 3 large garlic cloves, smashed
freshly ground black pepper
spray olive oil OR non-stick cooking spray
1. Preheat oven to 400F and spray a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray. Pull outer leaf off cabbage, cut cabbage from top to bottom (the root) into 1″ thick slices.
2. Secure loose edges with tooth picks. Rub both sides of cabbage with smashed garlic.
3. Use a pastry brush to evenly spread the olive oil over both sides of the cabbage slices.
4. Finally, sprinkle each side with a bit of kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper.
5. Roast on the middle rack for 30 minutes. Carefully flip the cabbage steaks and roast for an additional 30 minutes until edges are brown and crispy.