I just don’t make this dish often enough! All that is required is 1 lb. of Italian Sausage (or ground beef), onions, sauce and cheeses, and you have the makings of a traditional Italian dish that is both filling and superbly satisfying. It can get a little “messy” as you stuff the filling into the cooked pasta tubes. However, it is certainly well worth the trouble. It is pictured here with one of the most important ingredients . . . a nice big glass of red wine for the cook!
ITALIAN SAUSAGE MANICOTTI (serves 6)
- 12 uncooked manicotti shells
- 1 pound Italian sausage
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 cup Shredded Romano
- 2 cups pasta sauce
- 1 1/2 cups Shredded Mozzarella
- Heat oven to 350 F.
- Cook manicotti as directed on package, omitting salt. Meanwhile, brown crumbled sausage in large skillet with onions; drain.
- Drain manicotti. Add ricotta, basil and Romano to sausage mixture; mix well. Carefully stuff manicotti with sausage mixture.
- Spread 1 cup pasta sauce onto bottom of 13 x 9-inch baking dish; top with manicotti and remaining sauce. Cover.
- Bake 20 minutes or until heated through. Top with Mozzarella; bake, uncovered, 10 minutes or until melted.