Ham and apples seem to be a perfect fall pairing — sweet, smoky, salty and spicy all at once. The apples are very simple — sliced and sautéed in butter and maple syrup with a dash of cinnamon. Either pan fry a ham steak or reheat some sliced ham (I like to use apple cider) and top with apples for a delightful main dish. (Served here with Sliced Ham and Spinach-Bacon Macaroni and Cheese.)
AUTUMN SPICED APPLES (Serves 6)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 red apple, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 green apple, cored and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup maple flavored pancake syrup
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Saute apples until they begin to soften. Pour the syrup over the apples. Reduce heat to medium, and simmer, stirring occasionally until the apples are cooked through.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon, and serve immediately.