Another great recipe using diced ham (a full 8 ounces!) — Ham and Asparagus Fettuccine!! It is a fairly simple pasta dish with a delicious, rich cream sauce. You can make this using a number of variations — substitute broccoli or shrimp; add sautéed mushrooms, onion or minced garlic; use Asiago instead of Parmesan. I would have preferred to use green for more color, but I only had white asparagus on hand. However, the results were outstanding just the same! There was very little conversation at dinner. My guys were totally focused on their plates — I think I even heard some slurping noises at one point.
HAM & CHEESE FETTUCCINE (Serves 6)
- 12 ounces dry fettuccine noodles
- 8 ounces fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1/2 pound cooked ham, diced
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente. Stir asparagus into pot in the last five minutes of cooking; drain.
- While pasta is cooking, heat butter and cream in a medium saucepan over medium heat. When mixture begins to bubble, stir in Parmesan, garlic powder, pepper and cayenne. Continue cooking until mixture thickens, stirring occasionally. Stir in ham and heat through.
- Toss pasta and asparagus with sauce and serve immediately.