Portobello mushrooms offer so many opportunities to create fabulous meals – like this recipe from food.com. I stuffed these beauties with a ground Italian sausage mixture and topped them with freshly grated mozzarella. KITCHEN TIP— I keep seasoned croutons on the shelf year round. Put some in a plastic bag, and crush them with a rolling-pin. These will undoubtedly be some of the best bread crumbs you will ever use. They are always fresh and ready to go whenever you need them. I paired the mushrooms with Cheesy Creamed Spinach for a wonderful Sunday supper.
SAUSAGE STUFFED PORTOBELLO MUSHROOMS
2 large Portobello mushrooms
8 oz. ground Italian sausage
1 tablespoon minced onion
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/8 cup milk
1 teaspoon chopped parsley
1/2 teaspoon basil, chopped
1/2 tablespoon minced garlic
dash cayenne pepper or Tabasco sauce
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1/8 cup grated parmesan cheese
grated mozzarella cheese
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 F and lightly grease a baking sheet.
2. Lightly brush olive oil on both sides of the Portobello mushrooms; then, lightly season the inside with salt.
3. Cook the sausage and onions over medium heat until the sausage is browned and crumbling. Remove from pan and drain.
4. Combine the eggs, milk, parsley, basil, garlic, cayenne pepper/hot sauce in a medium bowl.
5. Slowly add bread crumbs and parmesan to the mixture, stirring until just combined.
6. Add the sausage/onions to the mixture. Season with black pepper.
7. Place on baking sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes.
8. Top with grated mozzarella, as desired.