The BK and I tried something like this recently at brunch. However, they served sliced tomatoes on top of goat cheese and didn’t add quite enough onion for my taste. I thought maybe we could do better. We had a couple of large sweet onions, so I sliced one up a day or so earlier and cooked it down until it caramelized — low and slow — for quesadillas. The remaining onions, my last lonely tomato, and a bit of goat cheese were the inspirations for this recipe. Delicious!! This turned out to be a perfect game day snack.
BAKED TOMATO WITH CARAMELIZED ONIONS AND GOAT CHEESE ~ BAKED PITA CHIPS
soft goat cheese
Tuscan Herb Olive Oil
For the Tortilla Chips:
1. Preheat the oven to 350° F.
2. Brush both sides of the tortillas with Tuscan Herb Olive Oil.
3. Cut each tortilla into pieces and place them in a single layer on a baking tray.
4. Season with sea salt to taste.
5. Bake until golden brown, turning the baking sheet once (12-15 minutes). Set aside to cool.
And now, for the Baked Tomatoes:
1. Preheat oven to 450° F.
2. Cut the tomato in half and remove the seeds. Place tomatoes cut-side up on a baking sheet.
3. Drizzle with Tuscan Herb olive oil and season with salt & pepper.
4. Bake until the tomatoes are tender (about 10-12 minutes).
5. Place the caramelized onions in the middle of each tomato and top with goat cheese.
6. Bake for a few more minutes until the goat cheese is soft and just browning.